Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Slow Trauma

Bill Mallonee himself may even have lost count as "it's getting close to something like 80 for me" but Slow Trauma is at least his 73rd album released. Slow Trauma became available a few days ago in a very limited run. The project contains 10 tracks where you'll hear a seasoned voice that has clearly traversed through many experiences of just plain living. You can hear it in the rasp, the grit, as well as in the poignant and sometimes weary lyrics. Mallonee sings "only time will tell" from a longing heart that is clearly still holding on to hope while "waiting for the stone to be rolled away". Slow Trauma is born out of life, just like all blues and Americana - sounds that take root first in the soul. As a huge Bruce Cockburn fan, I've been a fan of Mallonee since the early days with his group Vigilantes of Love because I can hear many of the same qualities that made me a fan of both. Vigilantes of Love was an indie band Bill formed back in 1990 while a student at the University of Georgia. And, it can't go without saying that the truly great and sadly late Mark Heard, another of my favorites in this musical genre, had a hand in the production of their recordings. I need to clarify that Cockburn has not influenced Mallonee. In fact, this week, Mallonee told me he is not really a fan. Though he was early on and likes some of the first Cockburn projects, he commented that he found him "not really edgy enough or immediate enough for my tastes".

Now a couple decades removed the Vigilantes days, Bill and his wife Muriah have lived in the rural, high desert of New Mexico for the last 6 years. On his digital liner notes found on his web site, he says he is happy to have a home studio in which he feels increasingly comfortable... to the point that he has hit a creative output unlike anything he's ever done previously. "It's been a journey lyrically & musically. I saw David Bowie in the Elephant Man. And a line he delivered will always move me to tears: "There are so many ideas in my head that sometimes I feel like it will explode." I had to find out how he can be so creative, so prolific and keep it fresh. He clearly had some thoughts:

"...that's a lot of writing over 22 years, but it stills feels as fresh as the first song i ever wrote. the songs keep coming, so i record quick demo ideas and get to work on lyrics. I'm releasing something like 3-5 albums a year, and I stand by them all. That's the best thing about bidding the "industry" adieu in 2000. There's no one to answer. I tell younger artists all the time that you really don't need someone in a superstructure to give you "permission" to be artist. BUT, I also tell them that they better be willing to find their own voice, (not someone else's) and strive for originality.... and lastly, to make peace with the poverty and deprivation that will go with such a decision..."

Among all of his recordings, Mallonee considers "Slow Trauma" to be one of his 4 landmark recordings. It's that good! If you are interested, you can sample it at his website https://billmalloneemusic.bandcamp.com/album/slow-trauma You need to hurry though, while digital downloads and streaming will remain available, Bill is only doing a limited run of 500 CDs.

Grace is so important in our life and a consistent message in Mallonee's music, so I want to close with some profound words he penned in the liner notes, especially as we approach Easter and Resurrection Sunday:

"Still, the visible Church (it seems to me) often spends much of her time putting boundaries on just how far and to whom the Cross of Christ reaches; boundaries on just how far His Mercy reaches and how efficacious His Grace is.
No wonder eyes roll and hearts despair.

I must tell the whole truth, however:
On my “better days,” I have no doubts.
Well, fewer.
Love Wins,
Grace Triumphs
And that we’re all made Whole.
And I do mean “ALL.”
Everyone.
Every. One.
"He Is Risen," goes the Easter liturgy.
And you & I, the stumbling, wayward congregation of the spiritually poor, blind, sin-sick and lame respond:
"He Is Risen, Indeed!"
I'm there."

What keeps Mallonee writing, even if its to relatively small audiences compared to what others who have remained in the "industry" might have? ...the idea behind writing, he says, is to portray an honest human; one struggling with his own brokenness and wrestling to define what the million little daily manifestations of Life & Death may look like or be about.

So please ... get your copy of Slow Trauma ... join the journey.

Grace and Peace.